This is a story of a man who has overcome anything and everything to achieve his goals. Someone who show’s what we are really capable of and proves us in how comfortable conditions we live today. In his book, David Goggings walks us through his full of abuse and misery childhood to a dreamed Navy Seal member, ultramarathon runner and a public speaker future.
“We all have the ability to come from nothing to something”
People become so lazy and distracted by all kinds of things that they don’t feel like suffering whatsoever. With every new challenge David Goggins pushes himself further and further until he reaches his goal. Some may say he’s obsessed and never satisfied, other will see him questioning his own potential, boarders and limitations of his body and mind; going beyond all levels of pain, endurance and what’s possible in people’s brain. Suffering and overcoming his own weaknesses has become an answer to the question of how to find yourself. David Goggins shows that by overcoming the barriers in his head and by working hard, we can achieve so much. We want to be confident, look better, earn better, etc. however, we do not want to get rid of comfort and convenience. How the hell are we going to achieve something when most of us aren’t able to expose ourselves to suffering and discomfort? This is why Goggins claims that most of us tap into only 40% of our capabilities.
“You are in danger of living a life so comfortable and soft, that you will die without ever realizing your true potential”
He pushes himself beyond all comfort zones to reveal the hidden potential of human body and mind. That doesn’t come for free, Goggins suffers a lot of physical and mental health along the way, however comes up with 10 challenges that allowed him to survive and stay sane:
- Write down all your difficulties
- Be honest with yourself
- Step out of your comfort zone on regular basis
- Show what you can, beat your opponent
- Visualize what you can achieve
- Create a cookie jar of achievements – you will draw out of it for motivation
- Remove the governor from your brain
- Schedule your day/goal/life/success
- Reach for more
- Write down your failures, learn from them, go after them again
The above challenges are agnostic of the profession you are in, problem you deal with – it can be applied by anyone to any circumstances. The book makes you realize that no matter what background you come from, no matter your experiences you have, you are the creator of who you are. You own it end to end.
This is what I am personally going to take out of this book:
- There’s always a way to achieve your goal, although it may not be at the time and in a way you initially anticipated or would wish to – accept criticism and find solutions
- Do not resign from your dreams. If you meet an obstacle, jump over it, if you can’t – find another way.
- Limits are in your head. There’s always one more step you can take beyond what you envisage as a border.
- We are capable of far more than we believe
- Discipline and persistence can help you achieve whatever you want
Most of books on the market tell you how to lead others, but this one focuses on the individual – tells you how to break boarders, extend capabilities, shift your mindset, master your mind. Walks you via the challenges your brain needs to go through and process in order to look at things differently. This book won’t tell you how to lead people, how to influence them to follow you and how to achieve success together. However it will rewrite your brain in a way that you will be able to do more, go further, think differently which by default will have an influence on the way you lead.
“I could not be defined by the abuse I was born into or the bullying that I grew up with. I wouldn’t be defined by talent, I didn’t have much, or my own fears and weaknesses. I was the sum total of the obstacles I’d overcome”.
This is a must-read for anyone who doubts their capabilities or anything about themselves! One of the best books I have ever read. For many, this book may be life changing.